No dignified cat wants their private bathroom facility infiltrated by a dirty dog, and no busy pet parent wants to clean up the mess after their dog gets into the cat litter box.
A dog can easily track dirty cat litter throughout the whole house, which is inconvenient, gross, and unsanitary. Also, dogs are likely to eat the litter along with a cat’s waste, which can result in an upset belly, nausea, and digestion problems.
Additionally, dogs can get parasites from eating cat poop1, and although rare, they could even get a blockage from eating too much litter. So, what is a household to do when their dog will not stop creating havoc at the kitty litter box?
Finding a new cat litter box that a dog cannot easily compromise is an effective option! Fortunately, there are many awesome options on the market to choose from. Here is a list of reviews of what we think are the best dog-proof cat litter boxes available.
A Quick Comparison of Our Winners (2023)
|Best Overall||Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Pan||
|Best Value||Omega Paw Roll’N Clean Cat Litter Box||
|IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box||
|Frisco Top Entry Cat Litter Box||
|Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan||
The 9 Best Dog-Proof Cat Litter Boxes
1. Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Pan — Best Overall
The Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Pan is an excellent option for those with multiple cats or big ones. At 24 inches long, 18.3 inches wide, and 17 inches high, this cat litter box can accommodate even the largest cat breeds. Not only does this enclosed cat litter box provide kitties with privacy to handle their business, but the removable door helps keep pups out of the litter, whether anyone is looking or not.
The pan has anchors that ensure that litter bags stay in place, so cleanup and maintenance are less messy. You also never have to worry about unwanted odors, thanks to the replaceable carbon filter that comes with this kit. This is an easy-to-clean pan and lid that require nothing more than an occasional washing with mild soap, water, and a washcloth.
To conclude, we think this is the overall best dog-proof cat litter box.
- The extra-large capacity is suitable for large breeds and multiple cats
- The components are easy to clean and maintain
- The removable door keeps dogs out
- The oversized design may not fit in small rooms or spaces
2. Omega Paw Roll’N Clean Cat Litter Box — Best Value
This cat litter box is designed for optimal convenience and protection from a prying dog’s nose. The Omega Paw Roll’N Clean Cat Litter Box can be cleaned by simply rolling the box on its side and rolling it upright again. During the rolling process, the dirty litter falls into a small trap. Simply pull the trap out and discard the waste inside of it, then put the trap back into place.
The litter box is clean and ready for use again. You only have to remove the litter box liner and replace the litter occasionally. Say goodbye to time-consuming litter cleaning tasks several times a week! While the entryway is large enough to accommodate most cats, it is located above the litter line to make access for dogs almost impossible. All these features are offered at an affordable price, making this the best dog-proof cat litter box for the money.
- Features automatic cleaning functionality
- The compact design is easy to fit into snug spaces
- Comes with an affordable price tag for the features
- Mastering the system may take a little practice
3. IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box
This is a high-performing cat litter box that is not inundated with a bunch of useless or hard-to-manage features. The enclosed box offers privacy and keeps dogs out of the litter, and the built-in hook allows you to conveniently store a pooper scooper so you never lose it. The IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box is easy for cats to get in and out of, and because the entrance is on the top of the box, litter stays inside where it belongs.
The textured top helps clean paws off after a cat uses the bathroom, so they don’t track any litter onto the floor. Smaller dogs may be able to fit their head inside the entrance, but they should not be able to reach the litter down below. The one downside to consider is that there are many parts to wash when it comes time for maintenance.
- A basic system that does its job well
- Comes with a built-in scooper holder
- Features a textured top to minimize litter spread
- There are many parts to take apart and wash during maintenance sessions
4. Frisco Top Entry Cat Litter Box
The Frisco Top Entry Cat Litter Box keeps unsightly litter hidden from humans and dogs but makes it easily accessible for cats. The textured mat on top acts as a rug and captures any litter that tries to stray. The top is durable, and the clasps that secure it to the litter box are sturdy. You can expect the unit to stay well secured even when moving it from place to place.
However, the clasps are easy to open when it is time to scoop the litter box out. Another thing that is great about this litter system is that it is made of recyclable plastics, so you do not have to throw it in the landfill, and you can feel good about your household’s carbon footprint. Unfortunately, we do not think that this dog-proof litter box is big enough for larger breeds to turn around.
- Durable, well-built design
- Made of recyclable plastics
- Easy to clean out when necessary
- The smaller-sized box may not accommodate large cat breeds
5. Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan
This is a top-entry litter box that is made just for larger and older cats. The entryway is a little larger than most, so cats that have a hard time with balance can easily make their way in. The interior is large enough for a cat to move and turn around, making it a great option for bigger cats.
The lid has small holes that allow litter to fall back into the box if your kitty accidentally tracks some out with them. The built-in handles make this unit easy to transport, and the lightweight design makes it perfect for traveling. This product is made in the United States from post-consumer recyclable materials. The biggest problem with this unit is that the clips that secure the top to the pan are flimsy and can easily break if not gently handled.
- Designed for older and larger cats to easily use
- Features a handle for ease of transport
- The sifting lid allows escaping litter to fall back into the pan
- The clips used to secure the top to the pan seem flimsy
6. Good Pet Stuff Hidden Cat Litter Planter
The Good Pet Stuff Hidden Cat Litter Planter is unique because it is designed to fit in with your home’s décor and eliminate the perception that a cat litter box is in your home at all. The base of the litter box looks like a large modern planter with a square hole cut into one side of it. The top of the planter features life-like foliage.
Just place litter inside the planter box through the side opening, then put the planter in a corner, with the opening facing the wall. Your cat can privately do their business, and neither your dogs nor your guests will ever know that the litter box is there. The top half of the planter can be taken off for easy litter cleanout. However, the faux plants and other accessories also must be taken apart, which can make cleaning time-consuming.
- Fits in with almost all home décor
- Offers privacy and protection from dogs
- All accessories must be taken apart to clean the litter out
- The unit cannot easily be moved once set up
7. Nature’s Miracle Oval Hooded Litter Box
There are many things to love about Nature’s Miracle Oval Hooded Litter Box. The interior is spacious, yet the design is compact so it can fit in small bathrooms and other tight spaces. The built-in charcoal filter helps keep odors from developing, and the non-stick surface reduces the chance that wet litter will get stuck to it. The entire top can be removed by releasing the side snaps for deep cleaning.
But you can just open the flip-top to make quick and easy work of freshening the litter box. There are a few downsides, though. First, the front entrance does not do a great job of keeping litter inside the unit, especially if the cat using it likes to scratch and dig. Second, the unit’s carrying handle can come loose during transport, especially when it is full of used litter, which can create a big mess.
- The large interior space is suitable for multiple-cat households
- Includes a built-in charcoal filter for odor control
- Features a non-stick surface for easy cleaning
- The open entry does not contain litter well
- The carrying handle can come loose during transport
8. ScoopFree Original Automatic Cat Litter Box
The ScoopFree automatic cat litter box is compact and convenient. It is designed to be entirely self-cleaning and uses disposable litter trays, which means that you never have to scoop litter again. The only thing that you must do is replace the disposable trays once every few weeks and empty the waste compartment occasionally. A special sensor and an automatic sifting system are responsible for cleaning up after your cat every time they use the bathroom.
The system uses up to 10 times less litter than traditional units that use clumping or clay litters. Unlike any other dog-proof cat litter boxes on this list, this unit requires electricity to function. It must be plugged in to track and remove your cat’s waste. It is also important to keep in mind that the unit uses special disposable litter trays, which means that you cannot pick and choose which type of litter to use.
- Features self-cleaning technology that saves time and optimizes convenience
- Utilizes special litter designed to control odors
- Requires electricity to function
- Requires the use of special litter pans that must be purchased regularly
9. Van Ness Enclosed Cat Litter Pan
This is a basic cat litter unit that gets the job done at a price that cannot be beaten. It features a removable top and flap entrance door, so you can rest assured that litter will not be tracked through your home every time your kitty uses the bathroom. The included zeolite air filter absorbs foul odors before they can waft outside of this unit.
The surface is treated to resist odors and stains, ensuring a clean and fresh look that does not become an indoor eyesore. The Van Ness cat litter pan is made in the United States using heavy-duty materials that are designed to last. One thing we do not like about this unit is that the latches do not keep the litter liners in place as well as we would like them to.
- Fully enclosed to keep litter inside the unit
- Features a replaceable odor-controlling filter system
- The liners do not stay secured as they should
- The door flap can be hard for older and larger cats to navigate
Buyer’s Guide: Finding the Best Dog-Proof Cat Litter Box
There is more to consider than style, size, and price when choosing a dog-proof cat litter box to invest your hard-earned money in. To make sure that your shopping experience is a successful one, here is a comprehensive buyer’s guide for reference.
Keep Litter Type in Mind
While some cat litter box systems will work with any type of cat litter, not all of them will. Therefore, it is important to read the fine print and find out what kinds of litter are compatible with the litter box system that you are considering. The systems that tend to limit the type of litter that can be used are the automatic cleaning ones.
Some cat litter systems require the use of special disposable litter pans, so regular pans and other types of litter cannot be used. If you are not sure what type of litter you want to use, you should learn about the different options, then decide if it is important to stick with one or two specific types or if you can be flexible. Options to consider include:
- Clay Litter — This is one of the most common types of litter on the market. Clay litter absorbs moisture and becomes soft. Once soft litter is noticed, it should be scooped clean. This type of litter comes in clumping and non-clumping styles. Clumping litter is typically easier to scoop clean between complete litter changes.
- Pine Litter — Made of pine trees, this is a natural litter that is excellent at fighting off odors. Pine litter naturally decomposes, but it is usually harder to work with than clay litter because it breaks apart easier and typically needs to be cleaned more often.
- Corn Litter — This is also a natural litter option that is known for its quality clumping action. Most litters look like a ground meal that can attract mold, which would be a problem in humid places. Some corn litters have attractants added to them that will help entice cats to use the litter box when they would typically reject it.
- Paper Litter — This can be purchased commercially or made by shredding newspaper. While paper litter is not the best for absorbing and controlling moisture and odors, it is an excellent choice for cats with feet injuries and those who are sensitive to fragrances.
Talk to Your Veterinarian
If you are not sure what type of cat litter to use, talk to your veterinarian for professional advice and guidance. Your vet can use your cat’s health records to determine whether there are any chemicals, fragrances, or other ingredients that your cat should avoid. If your cat is new to the family, you should schedule a checkup so your vet can perform tests for things like allergies. From there, they can help you decide what type of cat litters to focus on and which to avoid.
Your vet can also help you decide what type of litter box to invest in. If your cat has any physical ailments, such as arthritis, your vet can recommend designs that would put the least amount of pressure on their joints. At the very least, they can reinforce your choices and give you confidence in the buying decisions that you make.
Take Time to Read Reviews
It is always a good idea to read reviews from other consumers before deciding whether an investment in a particular litter box will be worth it. This will give you a good idea of the quality, ease of use, and other important aspects that could be a deal-breaker. Read several reviews to ensure that you are getting information from various mindsets and experiences. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle, so don’t let one or two complaints scare you away from a product. The time to start questioning an aspect of a product is when you notice multiple customers making the same complaints.
Verify Warranty Information
Most cat litter boxes come with basic manufacturer-sponsored warranties, but they are not all created equal. Therefore, you must verify the warranty information for any cat litter unit that you are thinking about spending your money on. Find out exactly what is covered and for how long. Make sure you know where you can take the product if it needs to be repaired or replaced.
You should also find out what the claims process is like so you know what to expect if you end up having to file a claim. If a copy of the warranty is not available on the website that you are buying your litter box from, check the manufacturer’s website for a copy to download. If you cannot find the information at either place, request it by contacting the manufacturer by email.
We are impressed with the variety of dog-proof cat litter box options available when it comes to size, type, and design. The challenge is determining which ones are right for you and your cat. Hopefully, our list of reviews and buyer’s guide will help make the process of choosing a litter box for your cat easier — and maybe even enjoyable!
The first choice on our list, the Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Box, is one interesting option that should not be overlooked. It is affordable, features a super-large interior, and is easy to clean out when the time comes. The Omega Paw Roll’N Clean Cat Litter Box is another option not to miss out on. It has an automatic cleaning system and is easy to move around. However, every cat litter box on our list has something unique to offer, so take the time to check them all out!
- A Quick Comparison of Our Winners (2023)
- The 9 Best Dog-Proof Cat Litter Boxes
- 1. Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Pan — Best Overall
- 2. Omega Paw Roll’N Clean Cat Litter Box — Best Value
- 3. IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box
- 4. Frisco Top Entry Cat Litter Box
- 5. Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan
- 6. Good Pet Stuff Hidden Cat Litter Planter
- 7. Nature’s Miracle Oval Hooded Litter Box
- 8. ScoopFree Original Automatic Cat Litter Box
- 9. Van Ness Enclosed Cat Litter Pan
- Buyer’s Guide: Finding the Best Dog-Proof Cat Litter Box
- Final Verdict