If you want to get your little furball excited, there is no better toy than a laser light. It will provide you and your cat with endless fun as you watch them careen around the floor in hot pursuit of a little red dot.
This toy is not only great for keeping your kitty entertained, but it also provides exercise, and it stimulates their natural hunting abilities. Your cute little fluffy-tailed tabby might look sweet, but when their stocking and hunting instincts take over, it will be curtains for the object of their focus.
Like anything else though, there are any number of options available. You can find some that only last an hour, while others you don’t even need to be held. To make your shopping trip a bit easier, we have found the eight best cat laser pointers available. Check out our reviews for info on the toy’s durability, usefulness, fun level, and all the other aspects that are important to you and your Tom.
Psst..we also provided some additional tips at the end…
A Quick Look at our Favorites of 2022
|Best Overall||PetSafe Automatic||
|Best Value||Laifoo Rechargeable LED||
|Premium Choice||SereneLife Automatic||
|Friends Forever Interactive||
The 8 Best Laser Pointers for Cats
1. PetSafe Bolt Laser Cat Toy – Best Overall
Our favorite pick in this category is the PetSafe Bolt Laser Cat Toy. This tall, white, and sleek laser pointer can be used as a hands-free toy or a manual model. It takes four AA batteries, plus it’s safe for pets and humans with a Class IIIa laser and 5mW max power.
Leave this toy on a flat surface and watch the laser move around in random patterns. There is a mirror adjustable control, so you can point the dot where you want it to go. The outside casing is durable yet lightweight at 7.8 ounces.
Your kitty will have a blast with the PetSafe. There is little to no noise, and the light is bright enough for day time play. There is also a 15-minute automatic timer, so your pet will not get overexcited or bored. What’s more, you will get a month of play from the battery life.
Overall, this is the best laser pointer option for your cat. The one top button makes using this toy easy, making it the best cat laser toy on our list. There is also a dancing dot, laser tail, and zoom option available.
2. Laifoo zting27 Rechargeable LED Light Pointer – Best Value
If you want to entertain your cat without breaking the bank, try out the Laifoo zting27 Rechargeable LED Light Pointer. This is a slim pen-like toy that is made of aluminum alloy with a brass module. It also has an integrated microchip, so it won’t overheat during charging.
This is a manual, handheld laser pointer that features a bright spot producing light, plus a “charge” and “working” LED light. You can charge this toy via a USB cord that powers a long-lasting 400mAh AAA battery. You can move the light from the floor to the walls, during the day and night.
The Laifoo zting27 weighs 1.43 ounces and comes with a carry case. You can also use the pen clip to attach it to your pants or pocketbook. There is no noise to scare your kitty, and the overall construction is durable. The only drawback to this model, as we mentioned, is the lack of different modes. As it is a handheld option, you will need to provide the erratic movement yourself. Otherwise, this is the best laser pointer for cats for the money.
3. SereneLife Automatic Cat Laser Toy – Premium Choice
If you are ready to spend a little more coin on your furry friend, the SereneLife Automatic Cat Laser Toy is the cat amuser for you. This white hexagon-shaped option can be placed on the floor to make patterns on the walls, or you can put it on a table to have your cat chasing the spot on the floor.
The SereneLife creates erratic circles that you adjust between slow, medium, or fast. You can also set it to create a straight line. The irregular circles go back and forth in random patterns, so your pet will not become accustomed to the game and get bored.
This toy takes three AA batteries that last for ages. It weighs 7.8 ounces, and you can adjust the range of the circle depending on the size of the room and the agility of your kitty. What’s more, this option is made of durable material, plus it’s quiet.
If you prefer to be hands-on during your tabby’s playtime, you should note that this toy is better suited for hands-free use. Although you can use it manually, the shape is not comfortable to hold for extended periods. Beyond that, the SereneLife produces a strong yet safe beam of light. It also features a 30-minute auto-shutoff. All of these reasons are why we have it as our premium choice for best automatic cat laser toy.
4. GO! Rechargeable Cat Light Toy
If you like a hand-held multi-purpose cat toy, this next laser pointer is going to be a good option for you. The GO! Rechargeable Cat Light Toy comes in a silver two-pack. It is a 3-in-1 design that features a laser light, UV light, and mini flashlight.
You can use the UV to detect cat “accidents” on your furniture, and the mini flashlight to help find your keys in the dark. The laser pointer will provide you and your Tom with endless hours of fun. Charging this toy is also easy with a USB cord that will provide up to a week of use. Not only that, but it fully charges in an hour and a half.
Another great feature of the GO! is the slide switch that allows you to play with your kitty without having to hold down the button. There is also a charging light, as well. The laser light itself is safe for you and your pets, plus there is no noise to worry about. Just keep in mind that the light is not as bright as some other options.
Something you want to consider with this model, however, is the overall construction. As this is a pen-like model, it comes with the customary clip. Unfortunately, that portion of the design is prone to snap off. On the other hand, you have a toggle lanyard available. Beyond that, the body is made of a durable 304 stainless steel and weighs a lightweight 3.2 ounces.
5. Friends Forever Interactive Laser Cat Toy
The Friends Forever PET66-0035 Interactive Laser Cat Toy is a 360-degree rotating laser pointer to keep your cat entertained. It comes with three speeds. You can set it to either slow, fast, or random. You can also set it to variable speeds depending on your pet’s agility and activity level.
The Friends Forever has a 15-minute automatic shutoff timer, and it’s designed in the USA. This is a white, tall toy with a blue diamond-like top. Unfortunately, the heavy laser pointer top can make it somewhat top-heavy, so careful placement is recommended.
Also, in regards to the placement, as this toy has a 360-degree turn, you will need a large space, otherwise, your pet may end up jumping on a china cabinet when the light turns all the way around.
This toy weighs 10.4 ounces, and it is not meant to be used as a manual cat distractor. The light is bright and safe, however. The Friends Forever is quiet and takes three AA batteries that will last many days of play. Finally, we want to note that you can only point to the light on the floor.
6. petnf Cat Laser Toy
If your cat likes more diversity in their playtime, they may benefit from the petnf Cat Laser Toy. This is a 2-in-1 option that works as a tumbler and a light pointer. Made of durable ABS plastic that comes in a blue and white style, this cat occupier rotates 360 degrees.
With the petnf, your cat will be able to play with or without the light. They can bat around the tumbler and watch it rock from side to side. When the laser is on, they will be able to chase the spot around. You have two-cycle ranges to choose from and four speeds. Choose from slow, medium, fast, and random.
As a bonus, you also have three timer settings depending on your tabby’s play habits. It can be set between 10, 15, and 20 minutes. What’s more, the random setting will make erratic circles that will delight your cat.
The petnf takes three AAA batteries with a life span of ten hours on low. Unfortunately, the batteries typically only last a few days even with short use. Also, we did note that the light, although very safe at five milliwatts, is not bright even in dark settings.
This toy is safe and non-toxic. It weighs 13.8 ounces, but it is not recommended for handheld use. What’s worse, if you have a nervous nelly kitty, the loud noise from the light may frighten your pet. Lastly, you need to be mindful of where you place a 360-degree rotating toy.
7. PetDroid Boltz Hanging Laser Cat Toy
Our number six option is the PetDroid Boltz Hanging Laser Cat Toy. As the name suggests, this model is designed to be hung on the wall or attach to a window. It comes with a suction cup, pothook, and a nail to attach it to the place of your choosing.
Right off the bat, we want to mention that the suction cup is not strong enough to hold this model. What’s more, the pothook is not sturdy. As this 7.2-ounce toy is not durable, a fall can cause a lot of damage. While the nail will work, it can be difficult to hang, as well.
The PetDroid creates random patterns across your floors and walls. Unfortunately, you are not able to adjust the speed of the pattern. On the other hand, you do have a 10-minute timer to make use of, so your cat will not become bored too easily.
The laser light takes three AAA batteries that have a decent life span. What’s more concerning, however, is the light that is dim and slow. It typically will not keep your pet interested for long. Also, the laser noise is loud and startling.
You will feel secure knowing the class one light is safe for humans and pets. As mentioned, though, the overall operation leaves much to be desired including the small rotation range. Finally, you cannot use this toy as a handheld option to play with your kitty.
8. DELOMO Cat Light Toy
Our last review in this category is the DELOMO Cat Light Toy. At 6.4 ounces, this is a lightweight option that can be used manually or placed on a level surface. It creates a light pattern at two speeds; either fast or slow. One drawback of note, however, is the pattern is not random, so it becomes predictable and boring for your cat quickly.
The DELOMO uses a tilting mirror to point the laser in the direction you want. You will have to manually adjust the mirror, although, it does allow you to point the light on the walls or the floor. Also, the mirror only tilts 30 degrees which does limit the range of the beam.
This toy is powered by a USB cord. Unfortunately, it takes up to three hours for the model to fully charge, and you only get five to six hours of play. Also, there is no timer with this option. With that said, this toy does have a safe light that will not harm your tabby or yourself.
The two main issues with the DELOMO are the construction and the light. First, the overall housing is not durable. What’s worse, however, is the inner mechanism that produces the light breaks quickly. The beam itself is dim at best and makes slow half circles in a repetitive pattern. Overall, this is our least favorite option for best automatic cat laser toy.
Buyer’s Guide: Buying the Best Laser Pointer for Cats
Important Things to Know About Laser Pointers
Did you know that your fuzzy little predator will go on eight to ten mini hunting trips per day? This is why a laser pointer is a great toy; especially for indoor cats. It stimulates their natural hunting instincts, gives them exercise, and if you are playing together, it helps strengthen the bond with you and your tabby.
On the flip side of the coin, there are some things you should be aware of before you purchase one of these light toys. Even if you have one already, take a look at these tips for proper laser pointer etiquette:
- Safety: Lasers come in different strengths. Typically, a laser “toy” is going to be safe for both you and your pet, but not always. Make sure the milliwatt is between 1 and 5 to ensure it will not cause damage to their eyes. Also, even when the laser is weak, try not to shine it in their eyes for prolonged periods.
- Rewards: Chasing an invisible foe can become aggravating when they can never catch the culprit. At the end of each play session, point the light at a small mouse toy or hidden treat to give them some satisfaction.
- Change it up: Your cat needs diversity just like we do. Make sure you have other toys for them to chase besides the laser pointer, so they will not become too anxious chasing something they can never catch.
- Physical Attention: Even if you use a hands-free toy, you want to strengthen the bond with your pet by getting down and dirty with them. Use another toy, or just use your hand to play with your pet every so often.
- Be Careful: Cats with sensitive eyes or other conditions should not be a candidate for a laser. It can cause more harm, and you should consult your vet first.
Now that you have the safety features down pat, let’s take a look at some shopping tips to help you find the best cat laser toy for your cat. As you saw in the reviews above, there are a few options for a cat laser pointer. Depending on your cat and your needs, you can choose a handheld toy or a stationary model.
Let’s take a closer look at what you should look for in a light game:
- Stationary: A stationary option is great if you want to amuse your cat while you are busy. These toys usually come with a timer and can be set to different patterns and speeds.
- Handheld: The manual toy is great if you want to be more interactive with your cat. Tip: look for a toy that has a slide switch, so you don’t have to keep the button pressed. Also, many of these have clips or wrist lanyards to keep them from falling.
- Combo’s: In our opinion, combination laser pointers are the best of both worlds. You can set them on a level surface if you’re busy, but you can also pick them up to play, as well.
While we are at it, let’s look at some other features that come in handy:
- Adjustable Speeds and Patterns: No two cats are going to be the same. A kitten may need a slower pattern, while a mature and seasoned hunter will want a faster spot to chase. That being said, all of them will benefit from changing the pattern to keep things interesting.
- Timers: As mentioned, you do not want your kitty to get too excited or anxious. A timer is a good feature to have that will automatically shut off after 10 to 15 minutes.
- Durability: Accidents are bound to happen. This is even truer if your ankle-biter is sliding around in hot pursuit of a dot.
- Light Strength: Although we talked about light strength when it comes to safety, we also want to discuss the brightness. If your pet can barely see the beam in the daylight, it will not be much fun.
We hope you have enjoyed our reviews of the eight best laser pointers for cats. We know it can be difficult to pick the right toy with many options available. We hope the information above has made your shopping life a bit easier for the best automatic cat laser toy.
If you are looking for the best of the best, we recommend the PetSafe PTY00-14244 Bolt Laser Cat Toy. You can use it as a handheld or stationary unit, plus it will keep your kitty running in hunting glee. If you need a more affordable option, go with the Laifoo zting27 Rechargeable LED Light Pointer that will give your cat all the fun at a lower price.
- A Quick Look at our Favorites of 2022
- The 8 Best Laser Pointers for Cats
- 1. PetSafe Bolt Laser Cat Toy – Best Overall
- 2. Laifoo zting27 Rechargeable LED Light Pointer – Best Value
- 3. SereneLife Automatic Cat Laser Toy – Premium Choice
- 4. GO! Rechargeable Cat Light Toy
- 5. Friends Forever Interactive Laser Cat Toy
- 6. petnf Cat Laser Toy
- 7. PetDroid Boltz Hanging Laser Cat Toy
- 8. DELOMO Cat Light Toy
- Buyer’s Guide: Buying the Best Laser Pointer for Cats