It’s no secret that cats are finicky creatures. One area where this is especially true is their litter box. If the litter box isn’t clean, your cat may refuse to use it — and that’s not a situation that you want to find yourself in! In this article, we show you how to properly clean a cat litter box so your feline friend will be happy to use it.
Before We Begin
The first step in cleaning a cat litter box is gathering all necessary supplies.
Materials That You’ll Need
If you have all the necessary materials, cleaning a cat litter box is a straightforward process.
With these materials in hand, you’re ready to get started!
The 4 Steps to Clean a Litter Box
Now that you have the litter box and supplies, here are step-by-step instructions on how to clean a cat litter box:
1. Remove all the waste from the litter box.
Use a scoop to sift through the litter and remove any solid waste. Be sure to dispose of the waste in a plastic bag or similar container.
2. Empty out all the used litter into a trash can or garbage bag.
If you’re using a reusable liner, simply lift it out and empty the contents into the trash.
3. Give the litter box a good rinse with warm water & mild soap.
Avoid using harsh chemicals or cleaners, as these can be harmful to your cat’s health.
4. Let the litter box air dry completely before adding fresh litter.
Once it’s dry, add enough fresh litter to fill the box to your cat’s desired level.
Preventing Litter Box Problems
No one likes a dirty litter box, least of all your cat. A clean litter box is essential to your cat’s health and happiness, and it’s important to keep it clean for their sake and your own.There are a few key things that you can do to prevent litter box problems:
- Consider the location of the litter box. It should be in a quiet spot that your cat can easily access. If the litter box is too close to a busy area in your home, your cat may not want to use it.
- Make sure you’re using the right type of litter. Some cats prefer clumping litter, while others prefer non-clumping. Experiment with different types until you find one that your cat likes.
- Scoop the litter box daily. Clean it out completely once a week. This will help prevent odors and keep the litter box fresh for your cat.
Following these simple tips will help you keep your cat’s litter box clean and prevent problems before they start.
Even with a clean and tidy litter box, you may still find yourself with kitty smells and stains around the house – but with the Hepper Advanced Bio-Enzyme Pet Stain & Odor Eliminator Spray, you can take care of it all. It permanently removes even the very worst stains and smells! Click here to learn more and get yourself a bottle.
At Excited Cats, we’ve admired Hepper for many years, and decided to take a controlling ownership interest so that we could benefit from the outstanding products of this cool cat company!
Following this simple step-by-step guide will help you keep your cat’s litter box clean and fresh smelling. Regular cleaning also keeps your cat healthy and prevents the spread of illness. If you have questions about your cat’s use of the litter box, talk to your veterinarian for guidance.
Featured Image Credit: sandyman, Shutterstock
- Before We Begin
- The 4 Steps to Clean a Litter Box
- Preventing Litter Box Problems