Finding the right name for our cats can be a challenge — but a fun one! You can get creative and find a name that fits your cat’s color, but what if your kitty is a bit of a goofball? Or what if you’re the silly one?
Puns are the epitome of corny but hilarious humor, and what’s better than giving your cat a punny name? So, we hope that you find a great name for your cat here. We apologize in advance for all the groan-worthy humor throughout this list!
How to Name Your Cat
Before we get to the puns, let’s go over a few tips for naming your cat.
First, you can go by your cat’s appearance — color, pattern, and degree of fluffiness can lead to unique and sometimes funny names for cats. Your cat’s shape and size can also be inspirational, like Bean for a little chubby cat.
You can also look to your favorite songs and musicians, actors, TV shows, movies, or books. Characters from media can be fabulous names for your fabulous cat!
Your cat’s fun and unique personality could also lead to a great name. Don’t forget the variety of other categories out there, like food, drinks, and even video games.
The possibilities are endless, but we cover as much as we can, so read on for your cat’s new and great name!
Female Cat Names
Let’s start with amazing female kitties! These are just a few of the most common female names turned into hilarious (and maybe not so hilarious) puns.
- Angelicat (Angelica)
- Catalie (Natalie)
- Clawdia (Claudia)
- Furances (Frances)
- Jessicat (Jessica)
- Jennipurr (Jennifer)
- Meowgaret (Margaret)
- Meowkenzie (Mackenzie)
- Padison (Madison)
- Pawbrey (Audrey)
- Pawla (Paula)
- Purrtricia (Patricia)
- Purrudence (Prudence)
- Tabbytha (Tabitha)
- Veronicat (Veronica)
Male Cat Names
Here are male names turned into silly punny names that are purrfect for your male cat.
- Catrick (Patrick)
- Furnando (Fernando)
- Furdinand (Ferdinand)
- Meowchael (Michael)
- Meowrio (Mario)
- Purrcy (Percy)
- Wycat (Wyatt)
Historical Names and Leaders
Now here are famous and infamous historical figures turned into completely ridiculous names for your cat. Enjoy!
- Alexander Hameowlton
- Amewlia Earhart
- Barack Obameow
- Butch Catsidy (Butch Cassidy)
- Catsanova (Cassanova)
- Dalai Pawma
- Fuzz Aldrin
- Genghis Khat
- George Meowshington
- Marie Purrie
- Meowna Lisa
- Meowdeline Albright
- Mewlius Caesar
- Paw Revere
- Pounce de León (Ponce de León)
- Sir Isaac Mewton
- William Shakespaw or Shakespurr
- Winston Purrchill
Movie Character Names
There’s so much you can do with names from popular movies. We start with “Harry Potter” and go on to “Star Wars” and “Star Trek.”
- Cho Fang (Cho Chang)
- Draco Meowfoy
- Dudley Purrsley (Dudley Dursley)
- Hairy Pawter
- Pansy Purrkinson (Pansy Parkison)
- Pawdma Patil (Padma Patil)
- Pawtunia (Petunia)
- Admiral Catbar (Admiral Ackbar)
- Chewpawcca or Mewbacca
- Darth Meowl (Darth Maul)
- Emperor Pawpawpatine (Palpatine)
- Jabba the Catt
- Kat Hissto (Kit Fisto)
- Lando Catrissian
- Luke Skywalkpurr or Skywhisker
- Nabmew (Naboo)
- Obi-Wan Catnobi
- Paw Dameron (Poe Dameron)
- Paw Solo
- Pawdmé (Padmé)
- Purrincess Leia
- Captain Purrcard (Captain Picard)
- Catryn Janeway (Kathryn Janeway)
- Leonard Nemeow (Leonard Nimoy)
- LeVar Purrton (LeVar Burton)
- Meows O’Brien (Miles O’Brien)
- Mewhura (Uhura)
- Seven of Nine Lives
- William Catner (William Shatner)
Pun Female Celebrity Names
Some of your favorite female celebrities have names that make the whole pun thing so much fun. Remember, love is a battlefield!
- Cat Benatar (Pat Benatar)
- Catalie Portman (Natalie Portman)
- Catsy Cline (Patsy Cline)
- Catti LaBelle (Patti LaBelle)
- Cindy Clawfurd (Cindy Crawford)
- Dolly Purrton (Dolly Parton)
- Drew Hairymore (Drew Barrymore)
- Feline Dion (Celine Dion)
- Halle Purry (Halle Berry)
- Kitty Purry (Katy Perry)
- Mariah Hairy (Mariah Carey)
- Meowly Cyrus (Miley Cyrus)
- Meownce (Beyoncé)
- Opurrah Whisker (Oprah Winfrey)
- Pawdrey Heppurrn (Audrey Hepburn)
- Puma Furman (Uma Thurman)
- RuPaw (RuPaul)
- Stevie Licks (Stevie Nicks)
Pun Male Celebrity Names
Some of your favorite male celebrities have had their names punned up for your consideration. The beauty with these names is that for the most part, you can have one regular name combined with the punny one, so you can feel free to use both or just one casually around the house.
- Ben or Casey Catfleck (Ben Affleck)
- Bing Clawsby (Bing Crosby)
- Brad Kitt (Brad Pitt)
- Cat LeBlanc (Matt LeBlanc)
- Cat Sajak (Pat Sajek)
- Colin Furrth (Colin Firth)
- Conway Kitty (Conway Twitty)
- David Meowie (David Bowie)
- Elvis Purrsley (Elvis Presley)
- Freddie Purrcury (Freddie Mercury)
- Fuzz Aldrin (Buzz Aldrin)
- Hairy Styles (Harry Styles)
- Hairyson Furrd (Harrison Ford)
- Jimmy Feline (Jimmy Fallon)
- R.R. Tolkitten (J.R.R. Tolkien)
- Jude Paw (Jude Law)
- Leonardo di Catprio (Leonardo di Caprio)
- Matthew MeowConaughey (Matthew McConaughey)
- Matthew Purry (Matthew Perry)
- Neil Catrick Harris (Neil Patrick Harris)
- Paul McCatney (Paul McCartney)
- Purrnest Hemingway (Ernest Hemingway)
- Tabby Maguire (Tobey Maguire)
- Walter Croncat (Walter Cronkite)
- Will Furrell (Will Ferrell)
- Willem Dafur (Willem Dafoe)
- You may also like: Country Cat Names
Names Based on Fictional Characters
To finish things off, here are random fictional character names that make great cat puns.
- Bob Scratchit (Bob Cratchit)
- Catman (Batman)
- Catnip Everdeen (Katniss Everdeen)
- Catticus Finch (Atticus Finch)
- Count Catula (Count Dracula)
- Eric Catman (Eric Cartman)
- Ferris Mewller (Ferris Bueller)
- Furrest Gump (Forrest Gump)
- Fuzz Lightyear
- Meowi Pawppins (Mary Poppins)
- Pawpeye (Popeye)
- Purrfessor X (Professor X)
- Santa Claws
- The Great Catsby
Use Your Imagination!
You have so many names to choose from! Now that you’ve read through all these possibilities, you probably have a much better idea of what kind of name you’re looking for.
You can name your cat just about anything, but remember, you will have to use the name around your family and friends and of course, your vet. The name for your cat can be as goofy and dorky as you want, though. As long as you take care of your cat and love them to bits, their name doesn’t matter in the long run.
You might even be able to come up with your own pun name! Here are a few titles and honorifics that can be added to any name that you can think of.
- Professor (Purrfessor)
- Her or His Majesty
- Madame (Mewodam)
- Mrs. or Miss
- Prince/Princess (Purrince/Purrincess)
You could end up with something less punny and more funny, like General Thunderpaw or Dame Bella Trix. You just need your imagination and an understanding of your cat’s personality, and you’ll find a great name in no time!
The beauty of some of these names is that they come in twos and threes, and you can shorten them too. Your Cat Benatar can be just called Benatar, or Bob Scratchit can be just Bob. Don’t forget to consider your cat’s coloring, and you can even use an online thesaurus to help find other words that help describe your cat’s feistiness, color, or loving nature.
If none of these names work for you, we hope that you have at least gotten a bit of inspiration, and the right name will be a little easier to find.
- 500+ Savannah Cat Names: Great Ideas for Your Exotic Cat
- 150+ Nerdy Cat Names: Great Ideas for Your Geeky Cat
Featured Image Credit: Kan Srikanlayanabuth, Shutterstock